Chemical Peeling is exactly what it says - using a chemical to peel away the top layers of skin in order to encourage skin renewal. Sounds terrifying, right? It most definitely is not! It’s a proven and effective solution to a variety of skin problems, ranging from acne to ageing and sun damage.
Here at the Royal Tunbridge Wells Skin & Laser Clinic we offer 14 different types of peels, ranging from the most superficial (a Lactic Peel) to the super-deep TCA (using Trichloroacetic acid).
How it works
Cleopatra bathed in sour milk and ladies of the French Court applied aged wine and rotted fruits to their faces to keep their skin smooth and blemish free. What do these age-old remedies have in common? They both utilise a group of naturally occurring fruit acids collectively referred to as Alpha Hydroxy Acids or AHA's, which work to remove dead skin cells from the surface of the skin and unclog pores resulting in visibly clearer skin. Today, exfoliation is a key step in a good skincare regime and one of the basics of professional facial treatments.
What can I expect?
If you’re considering a Chemical Peel for the first time, you’re bound to have questions and concerns: Will I have redness? Will I need significant down time in order to heal? Will my skin peel off? How will I react? The answers depend both on your skin and the procedure you choose. Generally speaking though, the down time can vary from mild erythema (redness) to a couple of days of mild peeling. Our expert therapists are on hand not only to provide a bespoke treatment plan created specifically for your skin’s needs, but also to answer all of your questions.
How many treatments will I need?
Leading dermatologists and plastic surgeons agree that Chemical Peels are ideal for the treatment of ageing skin and acne as well as for reducing the effects of sun damage, fine lines, dull skin tone, enlarged pores, acne scars and hyper pigmentation such as age spots; leaving the skin appearing smoother, healthier, plumper and tighter. Results are visible in just one single treatment!
What Chemical Peels are available?
- Lactic Resurfacer - Lactic Acid peel 30% & 55% - an excellent treatment for age management and hyper pigmentation. This treatment is appropriate for sensitive skin, darker skin tones or for someone new to peels to “jump start” their program. Lactic acid leaves your skin smoother, brighter and more hydrated.
- Glycolic Acid - 40% and 70% Glycolic Acid peels have the smallest molecular structure, allowing the product to effectively penetrate deeper into the skin, providing wonderful collagen stimulation and dermal hydration. It is also effective in releasing blackheads and on clearing lower grades of acne-prone skin.
- Salicylic Resurfacer - This resurfacing treatment is ideal for oily and acne skin types. Salicylic acid moves easily through the pores, clearing them out while reducing inflammation. This treatment effectively combats acne, leaving a wonderfully smooth and clear complexion.
- Alpha Peptide - High levels of alpha hydroxyl acids allow the peptides in this formula to penetrate deeply and quickly into the skin, offering immediate anti-aging benefits. Collagen is stimulated and the skin is instantly relaxed and smoothed. Peptides are an absolute must for those interested in an effective anti-ageing program.
- Pumpkin Primary or Power - High levels of Pumpkin pulp (derivative of Vitamin A), Glycolic, Alpha hydroxy acids and Salicylic acid dominate this incredibly smoothing and revitalizing treatment. Your skin will never feel smoother and your pores size will visibly reduced! You can expect some sensation with this treatment but don’t worry-it will be worth it!
- Traditional Jessner - A medium strength peel which consists of multiple peeling agents: Salicylic acid, Lactic acid and Resorcinol. These agents penetrate deeper into the skin and result in greater exfoliation of the outer skin layers. Effective for the treatment of hyper pigmentation, aged sun damaged skin, acne scarring, skin discoloration, and moderate wrinkling.
- TCA 7% & Salicylic Acid 2% - A peel designed to improve overall skin texture and tone; especially for acne and photo damaged ageing skin. By removing the upper layers of skin, the overall skin texture is dramatically smoothed, superficial wrinkles are quickly eliminated and colour irregularities are improved. Appropriate for all skin types.
- TCA 30% - The TCA peel goes deeper than the light peels and will make the skin look tighter and smoother, giving a fresher looking appearance. This type of peel is beneficial for people who have undergone other peel treatments and require deeper peeling for more thorough results. TCA is an effective treatment for surface wrinkles, superficial blemishes, and pigmentation problems.
- Obagi Blue Peel Radiance - Provides instant radiance, tighter, smoother, brighter-looking skin after just 1 procedure. Little or no downtime following the procedure and suitable for all skin types. Improves a range of skin concerns, including photo damage, and results in an overall improvement in texture and tone.
- Obagi Blue Peel® - This peel uses Trichloroacetic Acid (TCA) as the active ingredient mixed with the patented Blue Base from Obagi. Unlike traditional skin care products that only treat problems on the surface of your skin, the Obagi Blue Peel® works at the cellular level to treat the underlying skin condition.
Please note that some of these chemical peels require the skin to be prepared with prescription products. A thorough FREE consultation will be carried out prior to any treatment to determine client suitability.
For more information into preparation and after care, please book a consultation to ensure it’s the correct treatment for you!